Uninstall Instructions?

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I used the installer to get it running with VS 2008. How do I uninstall it? Presumably, I just can't delete the folder it installed to because it's registered with VS2008. Is there a safe way to uninstall this package?

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM

Indeed, just deleting the folder causes a package load error when VS starts up.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM

The uninstaller is registered w/ Windows and listed as "Lua Language Service (VS 2008)" in the uninstall dialog.  You can get there by opening the control panel and selected "Remove Programs" in Vista or Add/Remove programs in XP.  This should remove everything including files and registry entries.  You don't want to just delete the folder as Visual Studio is heavilly driven on its internal registry.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:04 AM

I'd like to report a bug then. Under Windows 7, it does not show up under "Programs and Features" (same place as Vista, Remove Programs isn't under Control Panel).

I tried a manual removal with regasm /unregister and that shows no items found to unregister. It doesn't seem to be showing up as a registered COM entry either. I tried going to {HKLM,HKCU}\Software\Microsoft\Visual Studio\v9.0\Addin and it isn't registered there either.

I am impressed with it's functionality so far. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this project, however it just hasn't matured enough yet for my use, and unfortunately I currently lack the time to provide useful feedback and debugging. When I'm able to free up some time, I'll definitely be back.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Could you tell me which version of Windows 7 you are using?  Is it the beta or the RTM?  I currently have access to only the public beta of Windows 7 and not a retail copy but will see if I can reproduce the issue.  I've also added this as a bug in the issue tracker.

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I'm using Windows 7 Professional Edition, the RTM. It was posted for students enrolled in the MSDN Academic Alliance not too long ago.

Sep 11, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Just wanted to post an update. After a reboot, Lua Language Service did show up for removal under "Programs and Features." To test again, I reinstalled it and it appeared immediately in the list for removal. I then installed it again, and once again it appeared immediately in the list. Maybe something didn't get cached properly or propagate the changes properly, the but the issue does appear to have been a one time thing.

Keep up the good work.